Sneak peaks of future reviews

Instagram

WeSampledItForYou Facebook

Monday, November 23, 2015

To Drink or Not to Drink... the Donut.

Hello, My name is Emma.  I am a Coffee Drinker.

Anyone need to join me in that confession?  Then this is a review for you.
I was given a bag of Dunkin Donuts ground coffee, not by the company, and I got home and went to make me a cup to try a new brand.....  Only to discover it was a flavored ground.

Donut flavored.  
JELLY Donut flavored.
I like flavored coffee, but other than the random moods that take me standing at a Starbucks counter, I tend to stay in my comfort zone of Caramel, Mocha or Pumpkin or Peppermint around the holidays.
So for me, this was questionable.

But never one to back down from a Java even if its jelly, I brewed a full pot and waited.  The aroma was pleasing when brewing, but in cup was strong.  I do not know if that is the DD brand or this individual flavor as I've never brewed either at home before.

The taste was not unpleasant, though at first I did not get the jelly essence of the brew.  After the first mug, which I drink black, I tried it with sugar.  An improvement in my mind, but too much sugar, mixed with the flavor, is over powering.




Caffeine Molecule Glass Coffee Mug
From ThinkGeek.com
I give the Site a green light for
Geeks, Gamers and Caffeine addicts.
I made a cup for my husband without telling him of the brew change to get a blind review.  After one sip he asked what was wrong with the coffee.  Once I explained it, he drank about half his cup and asked me to make him a regular cup.  Flavors are not his thing, but he also just did not enjoy it.

How did I explain the flavor to him?

It's Dunking Donuts coffee, where they already added the dunked donut flavor.
Once I thought of it that way, it was like a switch flipped in my head and taste buds.  I could taste the donut flavor if I thought of it as coffee that has been dunked in.  But if I was drinking it blind, I don't think I would be able to figure out the flavor just guessing.

That being said, I am drinking it.  As I write this blog actually, out of that awesome geeky mug.  It is not so bad that I would throw it out, but I am not sure if I would buy it.  Ever.  This flavor.  I am willing to try more Dunking Donuts flavors and brews, but I believe when this bag empties, it will be the last I taste of Jelly Donut flavored coffee.
So overall.....


  • Good Aroma, smelling it brew made me want to drink.  Did remind me of walking into a Dunkin Donuts shop.
  • Once you get into the flavor, it is drinkable, however I do not know if it is something anyone would want all the time.
  • Good strength, tasted more like a medium/dark roast then I was expecting.  But it is an Arabica Coffee and I've never had DD brand before.... so they may all taste that strongly.
  • Sweet.  I didn't need as much sugar, although my first cup I was still putting in my normal to help my taste buds get used to the added flavor.
  • Tasted by Hubby, and was replaced by basic brew.  Did not like enough to finish one mug.

What I couldn't review and why.
  • Price.   This bag was given to me, I did some quick research online and seems that this bag goes from anywhere between $5-$10 depending on where you buy it from.  I understand the brand name is most of that price, but for that price i would not be willing to buy this particular flavor again.
  • Flavor vs original Brew.  I have drank DD coffee before, but only at a DD shop.  I have never brewed the regular grounds at home, therefore cannot say if this flavor was the exception or norm for DD bagged grounds.

So...
Would you buy this?   Maybe.   If you are a die hard coffee fanatic and love trying new flavors, then yes, it would grab your attention.  If you are a Dunkin Donuts devotee, then you may buy it as a variation from your norm but keeping with your brand.  If you are a regular old Breakfast roast coffee drinker, then probably not.  Price and flavor would steer you further down the shelf to your known brand and brew.

SHOULD YOU buy this?  Unless you absolutely LOVE Dunkin Donuts brand or Jelly donuts.... No.  I hate to give coffee a bad review, but as a regular drinker every morning, I would not reccommend this flavor.  If you really want to, I would suggest buying a small bag, or maybe even trying DD orignial first to make sure you like the brand, then experimenting with the flavors.

We say Think About It.  
Make sure you really want to try it before you put the money in the register.  I would just take the extra carbs and get a jelly donut on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment